Knuckle Junkies – Shamrock FC 286 Recap


By Brett Auten | Knuckle Junkies
Aaron Highfill and Jake Lindsey’s welterweight main event at Sharmrock FC: 286 at the River City Casino waivered and teetered over three five-minute rounds.

The 30-year-old Lindsey took the fight on a two-weeks notice and used his edge in the grappling department to win a unanimous decision over Aaron Highfill.

Lindsey will move on to face the winner of a Bobby Voelker/Zack Bucia bout for the vacant SFC welterweight title.

Highfill’s boxing was on point all night. He landed early in the first round before and finished the round on a high note. In the second round, Lindsey scored with a trip and transitioned from half guard to side control. But Lindsey leaned on his grappling throughout the night. Highfill who snaps a three-fight win streak to stand at 3-2 – would manage offensive spurts, but Lindsey’s poise and control landed him a 29-28, 30-27, 29-28 victory to improve to 12-6

There was a bit of controversy on the night.

It appeared to most observers Adam Cella had got the win against Coltin Cole in the first round of the co-main event. Cole pressed Cella to the fence and worked a takedown. Cella then dropped several elbows to the head that sent Cole down and followed with finishing punches. The bout was stopped but when the decision was read, Cole was awarded the victory due to illegal strikes to the back of the head.

Cort Wahle was dialed in. The 22-year-old evened his record with a first round rear naked choke over Raul Romero. Wahle blitzed Romero early and landed a string of punches that sent that fight to the ground. Wahle kept pressure and jumped on the early submission to improve to 2-2.

Mike Wassem went for the finish in the third round. With a possible judges’ decision hanging in the balance, Wassem wrapped up Lee Burns’ head and pulled him to the ground. Around the 3:15 mark Wasem’s ground attack overwhelmed, and he got the tap with a hard arm triangle.

Early in the second round, Burns landed a heavy leg kick that sent Wasem down. He tempted with the idea of some ground and pound but was cautious of Wasem’s guard. Burns scored a trip takedown at the one minute mark and mixed in enough offense in Wasem’s half guard to possibly steal the round.

Burns hit a wall at the halfway mark of round one and Wasem did a good job of being selective with his shots as Burns was relying heavily on landing the one big shot.

Brandon Lowe packaged together a bruising TKO victory over Auhston Midkiff in a lightweight bout. Lowe went on three separate offensive barrages, often with Midkiff turtled. After the third one, and once back on the feet, Midkiff was leaning in on a takedown attempt and Lowe landed a violent elbow at 4:40 in the first round.

Lowe landed several heavy shots while in Midkif’s guard, some of which Midkiff was able to shield off and hold off a stoppage. Midkiff briefly gave up his back, which started another offensive outburst from Lowe.

Three SFC amateur title highlighted the 11-fight undercard.

Corbin Howard made a big splash with a devastating finish of Kris Craig to earn Craig’s 125-pound title.

Howard was able to dart in and out and tagged Craig with a right that set up the finish. On their next big exchange, Howard stepped in with a heavy uppercut that dropped Craig instantly and the 19-year-old becomes the new SFC flyweight belt holder.

Issac Purnell landed a spectacular TKO over Derick Scott to win the SFC lightweight amateur title. The first round played out similar to the pair’s first meeting, in the fall of ’16, with heavy pressure by Scott and Purnell on the defensive. Purnell did connect with a solid head kick that Scott walked through. Scott then worked long and expended energy in the clinch and at takedown attempts before trying the spinning kick set off the finish.

For the vacant SFC featherweight championship, Trevon Crawford closed out the final two rounds in a dominant position to win by unanimous decision over submission specialist Kevin Mueller.

Elmar Umarov jumped a nice guillotine at Nathan Stearns and got the submission win at 2:47 mark in the second round.

Freddy Kostjeravac defeated Toby Gvillo at welterweight. Nineteen-year-old Izzy Robinson continues to impress with a first round win by rear naked choke over the game and unorthodox Olivia Fisher. Mark Kirkland won by unanimous decision over Colin Parr in the evening’s only kickboxing bout. Bob Hinchliffe won with a solid keylock over Jake Willyard.

Elijah Brockman started the night with a victory over Bryan Hancock.

Leave a Comment